Close Give Feedback
Resene Paints - home page
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest Follow us on Instagram Follow us on YouTube


From the wallpaper problem solver - quick reference guide

Thinking about wallpapering? Learn some common wallcovering terms to make the process easier.

The trade name of a paint-on wall covering range

Wallpaper problem solver

Batch-lot numbers
The number indicating which batch or job lot the piece (roll) of wallcovering was printed under. Colours and other features may be slightly different from batch to batch

A process of producing a pattern on wallcoverings by means of wood blocks, into which the design has been cut. A different block is used for each colour. Also called hand blocking.

Border, frieze
A border or frieze is a form of wallcovering usually used as a decorative strip. Their dimensions are dependent on the size and type of design. They can have a dramatic effect around windows and doors and around the room just below the ceiling line.

Hanging strips of wallcovering edge to edge without overlapping.

A combination of colours in which a design is printed. A wallcovering design is usually available in several colourways.

Cellulose paste
A non-staining odourless adhesive.

A term applied to a wallcovering made from two webs (base papers) which have been combined together by the use of an adhesive before the wallcovering is embossed.

A raised or textured effect made by impressing a design with steel rollers into a wallcovering material with or without the use of heat. FLOCK Wallcoverings that imitate the surface of velvet or damask, by the application of cut or ground fibres standing more or less on end and bound by adhesive to the surface of the wallcovering.

A thin metal film bonded to a base web and printed on to give a decorative effect.

The background colour on paper or vinyl, on which the design is printed or embossed.

Unlike regular embossed wallcoverings, these are imprinted with ink at the same time as the wall covering is embossed.

Lining paper
A plain wallcovering for hanging on to walls and ceilings, by means of an adhesive, as a preparatory or foundation layer prior to the application of a wallcovering such as foil, or as a base for other decorative finishes. Lining paper should be installed horizontally.

Any wallcovering that gives the appearance of sheet metal or foil. It may be plastic or metal foil laminated to backing or web. May also be printed with metallic inks.

A wallcovering in which the design extends to more than one width in order to create a scene or design covering an area larger than a single width of wallcovering.

Offset match (drop pattern)
A term applied to a wallcovering where the pattern repeats itself diagonally dropping half the design in each sheet. When the wallcovering is cut, every second length will be the same.

Paste the wall
Wall coverings with a non-paper backing, applied after first pasting a section of the wall with adhesive.

Applied to a wallcovering from which the decorative surface can be removed from the base web by dry methods. Part of the base web remains and can either be removed or used as a base for a new wallcovering.

Peaking joins
Where the wallpaper is still expanding after installation, resulting in raised rather than smooth joins.

A single roll of wallcovering usually measuring 10.05m by 52cm. The width may vary by 10mm depending on design; pieces or rolls in a variety of widths and lengths are manufactured.

Wallcovering that has had adhesive applied at the factory. Rather than pasting the wallcovering before hanging, these only have to soak in water to activate the paste.

Primer sealer
A preparatory coat of special oil based paint applied to surfaces to eliminate show through, ghosting, or staining of the new wallcovering.

The horizontal rather than the vertical application of a striped wallcovering.

Random match
A term given to a design that has no apparent match points. Does not have to be matched.

The distance between identical points in a wall covering design.

A preparatory coat of special oil based pigmented sealer,applied to wall surfaces to eliminate show through, ghosting, or staining of new wallcoverings. Essential for preparing the surface prior to installing wallpaper. A sealer that dries to a matt or flat finish is best. Sealers should usually be thinned about 5 per cent to ensure full penetration into the substrate.

A coating applied to all surfaces prior to hanging wallcovering. Its purpose is to even the porosity (suction) of the surface. It also adds to the adhesion of the wallcovering and gives better slip and ability to move the product on the wall. It also makes it easier to remove wallcoverings when redecoration is required.

Sandable filler
This is a filler that once dry and sanded, turns to powder and is able to be dusted away.

Straight match
A wallcovering design with pattern details that match directly opposite from one side of the sheet to the other.

Wallcovering that can be removed from the wall surface backing, leaving none of the wallcovering on the wall.

Wallpaper problem solver


Thank you to Aspiring Walls for providing the information for this quick reference guide.

Wallpaper problem solver topics   Ask an Expert   How to wallpaper


Order online now:
Testpots | Paints | Primers and Sealers | Stains | Clears | Accessories

Get inspired Get inspired ! Subscribe      Get saving Get saving ! Apply for a DIY card

Resene Paints Ltd

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us!

Resene Paints Ltd   –

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest Follow us on Instagram Follow us on YouTube
Videos on how to paint and stain your house

Colours shown on this website are a representation only. Please refer to the actual paint or product sample. Resene colour charts, testpots and samples are available for ordering online.   See measurements/conversions for more details on how electronic colour values are achieved.

What's new | Specifiers | Painters | DIYers | Artists | Kids | Sitemap | Home | TOP ⇧